The wells and individual water supply program covers all properties in Dorchester County that rely on individual wells rather than public water for safe, drinkable water.
The program also includes agricultural wells, ground water heat pumps, irrigation wells, etc.
You must submit new well applications and replacement well applications to this department before well construction.
- Licensed well drillers submit applications to this office for review and approval.
- Homeowners must submit a sanitary construction permit application in addition to the well driller’s application.
- We review permit applications and conduct well site inspections to ensure proper well placement.
- Environmental sanitarians conduct well construction inspections and check the use of proper drilling practices.
- After your well driller finishes and chlorinates your well, please allow the water to run off by outside hose for 3 to 5 days.
- When you can no longer smell chlorine in the water, please call Kimberly Keene at 410-901-8152 and schedule a date for water sampling.
- We collect water samples and submit to the Eastern Shore Regional Laboratory to determine if the water is safe to drink.
Submit a property status request form for information about the status of a well on a property.
Forms (downloadable PDFs)
Application for Sanitary Construction Permit
Request for Record Search and Property Status Report
- State of Maryland Licensed Well Drillers
What to do if your well head was submerged
Water Wells and Their Maintenance